Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Free lunch

You almost never find money on the streets of New York. Maybe a penny lying face down or a nickel on the floor of the burrito bar, but before this week I don't think I've seen more than a dime on the ground. I'd like to think of finding money as some sort of cosmic 25th birthday present or maybe some sort of reflection of good karma, but whatever the reason, I've found $21.00 on the street this week. Two days ago I was walking up First Ave. on my way to Union Square and a crumpled dollar bill blew across the middle of the street, pausing right in front of my feet. I picked it up and looked around, thinking some poor Chinese food delivery man had dropped a tip, but there was no one to be seen besides some dirty hipsters smoking cigarettes outside the coffee bar and I wouldn't have given them a dollar even if it belong to them. So I put it in my pocket and I haven't spent it yet--it's in a special pocket in my purse right now. Then this morning, on the way to work, I was walking through the subway turnstile on 55th street and I happened to look down and see a $20.00 bill peaking out under my left shoe. I picked it up and looked around, but there were only blue and brown suits so I put it in my pocket and kept on walking to work.